Best Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting
Prep. Time: 20 min;
Bake: 45 min;
Cool: 10 min
Makes 12 to 16 servings
Give the frosting a rocky road twist by folding mini marshmallows and chopped nuts into the frosting before spreading it on the cake.
- 2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose or 2 ½ cups Softasilk cake flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- Fudge Frosting (below)
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, 2 round pans 9×1 ½ inches or 3 round pans, 8×1 ½ inches.
- Beat all ingredients except Fudge Frosting in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, rounds 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Frost rectangle or fill and frost layers with Fudge Frosting.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix all ingredients except vanilla in 2 ½-quart saucepan. Heat to rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute without stirring. Place saucepan in bowl of ice and water. Beat until frosting is smooth and spreadable; stir in vanilla.
Note: if using self-rising flour, omit baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Smashed Potatoes
- Simple Cranberry Sauce
- Rosemary Roast Potatoes
- Jane’s Carrot Souffle
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Gingerbread Boy
- Joan’s Pumpkin Pie
- Sour Cream Cranberry Cake
- Never-Fail Cake
- Best Chocolate Cake with Fudge Frosting
- Mixed Green Salad with Oranges, Dried Cranberries and Pecans
- Caesar Salad
- Peter’s Favorite Salad
- Green Beans with Sauteed Shallots and Mushrooms
- Grilled and Glazed Pork and Pineapple Kabobs
- Apple Cider Glazed Pork Tenderloin
- Barbecued Country Style Ribs
- Balsamic Pork Chops
- Balsamic Garlic and Herb Chicken Thighs
- Chicken A La King
- Old-fashioned Meatloaf
- Grilled Flat-Iron Steak Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes and Feta
- Italian Top Sirloin Steaks
- Peppered New York Strip Steak
- Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry